General Operations Manager Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with SCOM? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another SCOM customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building SCOM. We have already added some of the feedback we received through the TAP program and the recent SCOM survey.

This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to SCOM.
Be specific on your feedback. The more specific, the easier and quicker for us to review. Please be concise!!

If you have technical questions or need help with SCOM, please try visit our MSDN forums.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. implement ssh server on scom and support python scripts

Due to the need for hybrid environments with opensource systems and the scom's apliances to stay competitive with, market chains should enable native support for secure ssh communication but without fully depending on the requested agent, thereby opening up numerous possibilities for direct execution of Hi, I have a ssh command. I have a ssh command. I have a ssh command that interprets bash commands via ssh but it does not have native support. It is mandatory to install an ssh service on the windows server, there is also a need to run python scripts, such as zabbix and splunk…

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Unix/Linux Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Release and maintain a 2019 version of the "System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2 Authoring Resource Kit"

Release and maintain a 2019 version of the "System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2 Authoring Resource Kit".

This tool is an absolute gem in training new people to SCOM, which also gives them a better understanding on how everything is pieced together and useful for design work...

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. HTML administration portal in Web Console

Provide Operations Console administration functionality as a HTML portal in Web Console.

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. The autoSignOutInterval issue in the web console

Please add this paramater for autoSignOutInterval to new SCOM Web console so session time-out can be customized properly.

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. ability to create public views

We should be able to create web based dashboard views that the general public can view without authentication

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. configure the dasboard widget boxes

I would like to have the ability to configure the dasboard widget boxes like change the background, remove search box etc in order to create a more presentable dashboard.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. False "Zone Query Overload" alerts from DNS Management Pack 10.1.0.0

The data source that the "Windows DNS Server 2016 and 1709+ Detect Zone Query Overload" monitor and "Windows DNS Server 2016 and 1709+ Number Of Queries Performance Collection Rule" has an issue. If the server is under heavy CPU load at the time the data source runs, it fails and records a value of "0". This causes false alerts, as the "Zone Query Overload" is a "Delta" type monitor, so it sees a huge increase in queries when the next attempt succeeds.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Other Management Packs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Path, MP, Class, GUIDs, etc. Columns Needed in Numerous Screens

• Groups: Add column for MP (where group is defined/stored)

• Groups: add column to view "total members"

• Group Explicit Members: Only the DisplayName of classes appear. There are many, many duplicate class names and it's nearly impossible to select the correct one. Add columns for MP and class Name.

• Subscriptions: add column to view "subscription giud"

• Performance View: when adding specific rules to a perf view only the DisplayName of the rules appear. Add columns for Name and MP.

• Management Pack/Alert Tuning: Add path information

• State Views: Add column for class Name and Monitoring Object ID

150 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add the "Alert Closure Failure" dashboard to the Operations Console

Most administrators are using the Operations Console to manage their SCOM environment, it would be practical if the "Alert Closure Failure" dashboard existed in the Operations Console as well and not only in the Web Console.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Password lost in runas screen of run program activity in MS Orchestrator

In a version of MS orchestrator ugpraded from 2016 and 2019, when we entered a password in run as fields in run activity, it worked the first time.Then later when we run it later, it lost the password, the password field shows empty

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup and Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Create new managementpack versions without the need of uservoice

It seems MS likes us to vote on new managementpacks in this forum if we need or want them.
    I would like to suggest that MS creates new versions when they bring out new versions of software without us need to ask for it.
    Examples:
    Hyper-v
    Exchange
    New versions of operating systems both windows and linux
    MSMQ
    IIS,
    heck all the products MS is creating theirselfs

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. HP-UX Agent Support in SCOM 2019

I was reviewing the supported UNIX/Linux OSs at the following location:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/scom/plan-supported-crossplat-os?view=sc-om-2019 and took note that support for HP-UX has been removed. This is creating a problem for my current customer since they use HP-UX and will continue to use HP-UX. According to my customer HP-UX is still supported through 2025, so removing monitoring support in SCOM 2019 is going to be a problem. While I understand there may be workarounds for this issue, I am also concerned about maintaining the customer's environment in a supported configuration.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Unix/Linux Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. User

I am using Android 8. I have hackers using Windows 7 an possibility of Mac is. They have control over my phone. I don't even have administaive permission due to their control. No matter what virus or malware I run it doesn't pick up the fact that their system has complete control.
    They are using Microsoft programs for reason nodesirable. What can I do to remove that access when at times they are usiing same wifi

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow to include multiple criteria under "custom field" when creating an alert view

We cannot include multiple criteria under "custom field" when creating an alert view for filtering. Reference Microsoft case:119103124002664

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. SCOM2016/2019 Web Consoles - Need Mgmt Group Name added to header bar

Folks, we have multiple instances of SCOM running, many of which are accessed by the same teams. In the Web Console the Mgmt Group name is not visible anywhere on the screen and teams are finding it difficult to understand which console they are currently connected to. Can the Mgmt Group name be added to the header bar?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Monitor named "Performance Data collection health" needs to be fine tuned in a way that it does not overload the SQL Server when enabled.

The default SCOM monitor named "Performance Data collection health" which is disabled by default, needs to be fine tuned in a way that it does not overload the SQL Server when enabled for 1000 + Agents. The way the SQL query is built it looks like running it against 1000+ Agents will cause performance issues on the SQL server.

The purpose to enable this monitor is to identify if Performance data is stopped collected / missing for specific Agents in last few hours.

Request the product group to review the request to see we can ship this by default enabled…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. SQL Server 2017 AlwaysOn - clr strict security leads to console error after failover of the OperationsManager database

Due to security changes in SQL server 2017 it is not allowed to run dll's that are not signed (clr strict security). Please update the documentation with a workaround like adding the dlls to the list of trusted assemblies (SELECT * FROM sys.trusted_assemblies) in SQL on the secondary replica. Maybe a permanent fix is to sign the files. See this thread also https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/195c0bd5-115c-4cff-8ae3-4109f59c9b1e/could-not-load-file-or-assembly-microsoftenterprisemanagementsqluserdefineddatatype-in-an?forum=operationsmanagerdeployment

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup and Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. MSDTC discovery isn't targeted correctly

Seems that the MSDTC discoveries in the 2012 and 2016 OS Management packs target all windows servers. This causes multiple instances to be discovered and duplicate alerts generated on a failure.

MPs should be updated to target the OS that they cover instead of all Windows Servers.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Windows Server OS Management Pack  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. IM alerting to Microsoft Teams

Dear developers,
    it would be great to see IM SCOM integration with Microsoft Teams, so IM alerting can be done for those who have migrated from SfB to Teams.

At the moment the only option is to either have SFB server onpremise and send IM notifcations to Teams/SFB Online or to use Hooks in Teams which isn't perfect because it actually sends posts on Teams Channel rather than sending IMs to people on Teams.

Hopefully IM notifications support for Teams will come one day.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Support monitoring/collection of 32-bit performance counters on 64-bit operating systems

SCOM cannot monitor or collect data for 32-bit performance counters on 64-bit operating systems. A workaround is to use a PowerShell script which calls 32-bit PowerShell and makes use of the Get-Counter command, but this causes significant load on the system processor when collecting data for multiple counters. I feel that there should be native support for this scenario that avoids this need to launch 32-bit PowerShell separately.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base