General Operations Manager Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with SCOM? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another SCOM customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building SCOM. We have already added some of the feedback we received through the TAP program and the recent SCOM survey.

This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to SCOM.
Be specific on your feedback. The more specific, the easier and quicker for us to review. Please be concise!!

If you have technical questions or need help with SCOM, please try visit our MSDN forums.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create a SCOM Report that Mimics the PAL Reports

The Performance Analysis of Logs (PAL) Tool is an awesome tool for documenting (benchmarking) or troubleshoot a system. There should be something similar in OpsMgr that we can use either as a report or a dashboard.

An ideal solution would be to import templates (like PAL does), so that OpsMgr can then apply it to a system for a period of time. The reports would then function in a similar fashion so that admins can address performance issues or provide benchmarks.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. machine learning

integrate machine learning to provide Predictive analytics, the aim is to identify issues before they become service impacting

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Provide a management pack for Intune

Provide a management pack for Intune. The inability to provide any Operations Manager monitoring for Intune is a significant gap in the Microsoft story and directly opposed to the stated direction that Microsoft will have a management pack for all products. The cloud based solutions must be able to be monitored!

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other Management Packs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Set Rules to Auto Close

Have the ability to set Rules to autoclose. Sometimes a server reboots and causes multiple failed Rules and I have to manually close them.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Export Complete configuration of a Management pack

Complete configuration of a standard or customized management pack components should be available in the file while exporting a management. For most of the rules/monitors time the complete configuration is missing in the exported management pack file i.e. monitoring frequency, number of samples, threshold value, applied to etc. are missing in the file. While it required when migrating the environment and have to enable the same monitoring in the new environment.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Unix/Linux Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. SCSM Connector that write CI Data back to scom for SCOM Objects. Like Relationships or Additional Data

SCSM Connector that write CI Data back to scom for SCOM CI Objects. Like Relationships or Additional Data for CI Items.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Agent Discovery Data: CreateDiscoveryData accepts on source and target directly a GUID

CreateDiscoveryData accepts on source and target directly a GUID not only a COM object. To create Containment or Reference Relationship It is not every time possible to get all Primary key of an object that is not hosted on the target machine. The Best thing whould be that the scom agent has nativly the ability to query the scom Server like with the sdk.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Moving views from My WorkSpace to the Monitoring Tree

Creating test views in My workspace is much fast to PoC and see how it behaves, and it doesn’t slow down the server. When done, you could right click and move it to the main View Tree for final deployment.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. The VSAE template for alert rules should allow specification of alert suppression criteria.

Right now I use the template to create the rule, then cut and past from the mpx to another mpx, add the suppression criteria and then delete the template.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Option for no email if alert auto-resolves within delay time frame

Currently in SCOM I can set a delay on a notification subscription. Though, if I set a delay for 10 minutes, and the alert auto-resolves and closes within that time frame I still get a "closed". The purpose of the delay in most environments is because you might not want to see that quick IISReset or something like that.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow for consolidated distributed application views across multiple SCOM instances

Allow for an hierarchal SCOM instance structure (e.g. servers in a region report to a regional instance, regional instances report to a global instance) - not just for alerts - but for distributed application model views as well. Allow for flexibility on what is passed up the chain of SCOM instances. I'm failry new to SCOM so not sure if this support is already there (beyond alerts only, and without having multi-homed agents)

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Setup and Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Agent Remotely Manageable Flag

There are actions I want to take on an agent such as "Change Primary Management Server","Repair","Uninstall" which are grayed out and not available in the console. They are greyed out because of a flag in the database that gets set when a agent is manually installed and not installed through the Console. These actions are disabled for such agents because when an agent is manually installed, SCOM assumes that it is for a reason and doesn't want to break it.

However, there are situations when an agent is manually installed but there is no need to disable these actions. In…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Update MP Simulator in Visual Studio Authoring Extensions to support *NIX Management Pack bundles

Please update VSAE to fully support *NIX Management Pack bundles. Current version seem to have issues with either MP Bundles or with *NIX MPs or both.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Easy way to create an override ("buddy") pack, named CORRECTLY, from within the "Override Properties" screen.

All too often I see sloppy unsealed/custom miscellaneous MPs named something like "contoso - Windows Server custom stuff" or "operations server team", and in that MP will be overrides for various workflows which are defined in various separate management packs thus creating numerous dependencies, which is the opposite of best/recommended practice for storing overrides. I suggest adding one or more of the following features:

1) In the Override Properties window->Select destination management pack, upon clicking "New..." , auto-populate the Name: field with a properly spelled/titled MP name suggestion based upon the name of the base MP for the targeted workflow.…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Filter alerts for resolution state and timeframe in the default Alerts view in the right side Task pane.

I would suggest a way to filter alerts for resolution state and timeframe in the default Alerts view in the right side Task pane.
    This would ease up the troubleshooting and navigation in the console.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add alert thresholds to performance views

Add the warning and critical thresholds to performance views as lines across the charts.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Create a self service style interface for notifications

Create an interface similar to the Distributed Application designer where users (Non SCOM admins) can search/drag and drop SCOM objects that they would like to be notified on.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Improved WMI query bulding functionality

When creating WMI-based performance rules & unit monitors, provide the "triangle" button in order to be able to specify any of the workflow's target properties (or hosted) when building the WMI query. Queries running agents hosting multiple instances of a targeted class (ex.: Logical Disk) will require that we filter the WMI query using the "WHERE" clause. For example:

WHERE DeviceID = '$Target/Property[Type="MicrosoftWindowsLibrary!Microsoft.Windows.LogicalDevice"]/DeviceID$'

Note that the button is available when building Windows Performance-based workflows (Object & Instance fields).

Thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Improved "Change Scope" functionality

leave the "Clear All" button accessible at all times in the "Scope Management Pack Objects" dialog box.

I (and my clients) constantly find myself checking a bogus class in the "Scope Management Pack Objects" dialog box, just to be able to access the "Clear All" button, and proceed with my new class filtering selections.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base