General Operations Manager Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with SCOM? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another SCOM customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building SCOM. We have already added some of the feedback we received through the TAP program and the recent SCOM survey.

This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to SCOM.
Be specific on your feedback. The more specific, the easier and quicker for us to review. Please be concise!!

If you have technical questions or need help with SCOM, please try visit our MSDN forums.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Management Pack for Exchange 2016

Create an updated version of the MP for Exchange 2016 and do the same for 2019. Let's not be lazy. Even if the monitoring did not change much, a new MP is required so that we have proper views, groups, descriptions in alerts, etc.

This isn't the way things should be done: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2016/06/13/monitoring-exchange-server-2016-with-system-center-operations-manager/

Especially for a mission critical application like Exchange.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Exchange Management Pack  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Azure Management Pack

The Azure Management Pack needs serious performance improvements. We should not have to dedicate a management server to run a single management pack.
    Trying to run the Azure MP on a shared management server can cause SCOM to grind to a halt.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Azure Management Pack  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow SCOM Unix Agent to Run as a non-root account with elevated privileges

At current time, the Unix agent for SCOM 2012 R2, 2016 and 1801 requires that the agent software run with root user credentials. Any software that runs directly as the root user is a security risk.

I'd like to see a future version of the SCOM Unix Agent that could run as a non-root user, with elevated privileges, so that the agent can properly monitor the Unix client while minimizing security risks.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Unix/Linux Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. ability to test a channel and subscription

Add the ability to send test messages through the channel and subscribers pages, rather than having to setup a test notification and subscription.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix "Management Pack Recommendations" MP 7.3.13165.0

I have just updated to this latest version of the 'Management Pack Recommendations MP' via the Updates and Recommendations feature in SCOM2016. I now have a couple of hundred powershell failed to run warnings from a large number of servers for 'Lightweight non server roles discovery' filling my alerts pane. Previously zero script errors.

So far been unsuccessful in resolving this issue.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Other Management Packs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. BUG in the installation process of SCOM 1801 Web Console (WORKAROUND)

Hi together,
    again there is a bug in the Web Console, this time in SCOM 1801.

I installed SCOM 1801 Web Console using "Enable SSL" option. But if I browse on Internet Explorer, or Firefox, etc. https://<WEB CONSOLE>/OperationsManager gives the following error:
    "The remote server returned an error: (404) Not found".

I could broswe the following pages without any problem:
    https://<WEB CONSOLE>/Dashboard
    https://<WEB CONSOLE>/AppAdvisor
    https://<WEB CONSOLE>/AppDiagnostics

I figured out the issue
    --------------------------
    If I install SCOM Web Console without "Enable SSL", then the access to Web Console works.

SCOM Web COnsole installation process with "Enable SSL"…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Other Management Packs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Linux Agent initiated Maintenance Mode feature

This feature is intended for triggering maintenanace mode from Linux agent system with superuser previliges.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Unix/Linux Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Web Console SCOM 1801 needs the possibility to add columns in the alert view

Web Console 1801:
    Add the possibility to add columns in the alert view in order to view custom fields or other available fields from an alert.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Don't abandon Web Application Transaction Monitoring

We are heavily committed to Web Application Transaction Monitoring, and Web Application Monitoring. These are also known as robotic testing, or end user experience monitoring. The template allows you record typical user actions against a site, capture responses, and re-use data to simulate an actual user. It is then played back at regular intervals. It is the best first notice of something being wrong when one of our test fail.Over the years there has been little improvement to the mechanism and the web recorder has not been updated within SCOM whereas the same web recorder in visual studio is well…

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Solve Maintenance mode Conflict by use the furthest end time.

Best way to explain is an exemple.

I put a logical drive in Maintenance Mode for 60 Min.

If my collegue put the windows Computer in maintenance WITH Child Iems for 15 min during my maintenance, My logical disk will be out of maintenance a the end on the Computer Maintenance.

Normaly i expect the maintenance on my Logical disk should be end at his scheduled end time MINIMUM never Before.

Thanks

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Multi Select Alerts in Web Console

Can we please have the ability to select more than one alert in the Web Console?

At present (v1801), you can only select one update at a time

This makes changing the likes of the Resolution State time consuming if there are a few of them..

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Develop Office 365 Synthetic Transaction Management Pack

The official Office 365 Management Pack is only covering the (Microsoft)Data Center view of the availability of Office 365 services. It provides no information on an end user's perception of the availability of the services.
    In order to do this, I have created a custom management pack that provides a framework for synthetic transactions that can be run from SCOM Agent computers against Exchange and SharePoint Online. I also have created some synthetic transactions as an example on how to get these up and running: External MailFlow (ExO), Calendar Access (ExO), Up-and Download Files to SPO.
    There has been a…

96 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Open Source your Management Packs

It’s a well-known problem that MPs are way too noisy and that customers spend most of their time tuning the damn things. All that noise also means that the first thing ordinary SCOM users get is bombarded with emails / noise, which causes those users to disengage from using SCOM right from the very outset.

In terms of best practices, it is customers who operate and run these MPs at scale and who therefore have the real-world knowledge of what's needed from the MPs when running them in Production, much more so than disconnected development teams.

Right now, there's no…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Other Management Packs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. ServiceNow ITSM Integration

A native SCOM to ServiceNow ITSM integration to enable creation of tickets to the correct support team with alert/incident being resolved from either end i.e. if an operator closes an alert in SCOM, the corresponding ServiceNow incident should also be closed, and likewise, if the Incident is resolved in the ServiceNow incident, the corresponding SCOM alert should also be closed.

ServiceNow has become a popular ITSM solution and the ability to close-the-gap between alert generation in SCOM and incident/ticket raising in ServiceNow without having to invest in a third-party tool is vital.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Reduce CPU impact for SCOMpercentageCPUTimeCounter script

The SCOMpercentageCPUTimeCounter (vbs or ps1) used by Agent processor utilization rule and monitor runs on each agent every 5 minutes (321 sec) and with a sync time set to 00:00.

This causes CPU spike on virtualization hosts.

109 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Monitor .Net Core Applications with SCOM APM

We use SCOM APM for our internal developed applications but we can't monitor the ones that is written in .Net Core.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Application Performance Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Remove All SCOM Disabled Class Instances

When a Discovery is disabled by Default, SCOM will not remove the class instances unless the discovery has an override which sets the parameter "Enabled" to "false".

The Command Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstances should be able to remove ALL SCOM Discoveries which there isn't an active discovery for or at least have the ability to (Switch Parameter?)

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow Powershell script in Agent task

Currently only vbs is supported, when creating Agent based task. For now, PS is mostly installed on all recent OS please implement support for adding Powershell scripts here.
    You can mark it somehow- to distinguish VBS/PS based tasks, so users are not running ( or know and accepts) it on systems which do not support PS.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Remote Access Management pack for 2016

Is there a management pack that will be released for Server 2016 for Routing and Remote Access?

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 4K Resolution support for SCOM console

SCOM console seems to not fully support 4K resolution. If you open overrides window the enable checkboxes are hidden and many other views are not aligned properly.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base