I suggest you ...

Easy way to create an override ("buddy") pack, named CORRECTLY, from within the "Override Properties" screen.

All too often I see sloppy unsealed/custom miscellaneous MPs named something like "contoso - Windows Server custom stuff" or "operations server team", and in that MP will be overrides for various workflows which are defined in various separate management packs thus creating numerous dependencies, which is the opposite of best/recommended practice for storing overrides. I suggest adding one or more of the following features:

1) In the Override Properties window->Select destination management pack, upon clicking "New..." , auto-populate the Name: field with a properly spelled/titled MP name suggestion based upon the name of the base MP for the targeted workflow. If the workflow exists in the "Windows Server 2012 Operating System (Monitoring)" then auto-populate the Name: field with "Windows Server 2012 Operating System (Monitoring)(OVERRIDES)". The user could change this name if desired.

2) If the properly named override MP already exists, auto select/highlight it in the "Select destination management pack" drop down list in the Override Properties window.

3) AT THE VERY LEAST make the "Management pack:" name field selectable on the rule/monitor/discovery properties General tab so that it can be copied to the clipboard and used to create a properly named buddy pack.

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Tyson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Pascal Vedieu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even better: When one imports a sealed MP, then a auto Override MP is created (with the option to manage the naming convention). Make the override dependant on the sealed

Then, step 2 when doing an override, show only the overrides MPs that are dependant to the object (monitor, rule, discovery,etc) that is being modified with an option to show all.

Third, allow option to delete MPs with dependencies.

Feedback and Knowledge Base