I suggest you ...

Email Alert delivery tracking and auditing.

I often have users who claim that they "never received the SCOM alert". There should be a way in SCOM to track and audit generation and delivery of email alerts. The alert history tab should have info on which email alert subscriptions were triggered.

Email templates should have a way to embed which alert subscriptions were used to generate them.

You should be able to click on an agent-managed system and see what alert subscriptions and groups a system belongs to.....similar to how you can see what email distribution lists a person belongs to in Outlook/Exchange.

54 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Wilson Wong shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Audit history needs to be beefed up in many ways. It doesn't help to say was modified. Any action taken on the alert should show what field was updated to what value by who and when. This should also include notifications.

• Kelvin Lee-Ting commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MOM 2005 had this feature but SCOM 2007 didn't. I was hoping that SCOM 2012 would have reintroduced this feature only to be disappointed.
    This feature is very helpful because we always get calls after the fact, sometimes a week later after the incident happened. The best we can do at the that time is to check the state change events to look at the history of the monitor and then ask the customer if they had received emails based on the downtimes of the monitor history.
    Please, pretty please bring this feature back.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use 3rd party middleware to handle the alert notification part of the process. Our alert command channels initiate scripts that send alerts to custom receiver groups for email & SMS notifications in this third party app. The script also parses the name of the notifications group used (same as subscription name), the specific alert reference and the new/closed times back into the SCOM alert's custom fields.

The advantages of this are numerous but key are that we can easily track and audit notifications as well as provide visibility in SCOM of which alerts were forwarded to notification (i.e. processed by a subscription).

This process aids with identifying gaps in terms of critical alerts that need to be forwarded to SME's.

• Natascia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, it would be good to see, that the email was sent out and which Subscription was used. Also it would be good, to see in the Subscriber, in which Subscription it is used.

Feedback and Knowledge Base