I suggest you ...

Dynamic Application Discovery for creating Distributed Applications (Services)

Implementation of dynamic application discovery like former BlueStripe software and building the corresponding distributed application with all it's dependencies.

212 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Stefan Roth shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  SCOM PMs responded  · 

Thanks for your suggestion and up-votes. This request is under review and we will keep this thread updated on developments about the integration.

Meanwhile, I have a question for everyone that requested this feature. Hypothetically speaking, “If” this feature will be available in SCOM console ONLY if you have the OMS addon, would you be willing to/able to use this feature? Do any of you have a limitation of not being able to use OMS along with your SCOM environment?

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Graham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like others I would suggest looking at Squared up and their VADA functionality. Although it is a pain to license SCOM and then have to look for add-ons to provide more functionality; I don't see Microsoft providing this given that OMS has service map. If Microsoft were going to include the Bluestripe technology in SCOM then I think they would have done it by now. Hopefully I'm wrong.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our current challenge with OMS is that we don't have the data classification in place to be able to make the decision as to whether or not the required data (metadata?) can be stored in the cloud.

• Samuel Tegenfeldt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is even more important to get On-premise now, as we start seeing the actual pricing and licensing confusion regarding OMS features.

• Heiko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would our customers implement OMS just get this feature? No!
        As others stated most customers are not willing to put monitoring data into the cloud (for a good reason imo).
        Please implement this great feature into the on prem version of SCOM - just like the original product.

• Samuel Tegenfeldt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have at least three customers where using OMS is prohibited (by national law, because of the nature of those organizations, they cannot put data outside of the country border and cannot be dependent on a third party).

Now, I know this feature has been somewhat implemented in OMS already. I found this feedback just now.

• RG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would recommend keep this feature on-prem, not only because of the reasons explained by other pals, but also because I have had hard times connecting several SCOM environments to OMS, and both the documentation and support for troubleshooting connection and sync issues are really poor.

• Will Kaiser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with others in this thread in that it should be available in more than an OMS capacity. A need for this features has been expressed by many of my customers, particularly those with large SCOM environments (either large quantities of servers, or the monitoring of workstations). Many of those customers are evaluating an number of Azure SaaS offerings including OMS, however in most cases the cost of monitoring thousands of endpoints with OMS is cost-prohibitive - and it would go over very poorly if, what many consider to be critical functionality, was only available at that cost.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many customers i have worked with (financial, governments, medical) who have invested very heavily Operations Manager, have strict guidelines and legislation's which prevent them making use of any 'cloud based' services.

As Peter rightly mentions below, customers see the dynamic application discovery as a "last piece of the puzzle" for their SCOM Environments, so i believe it would be a step backwards if this functionality wasn't available as an onprem feature.

• Werner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this would be good,

i we are not using OMS but i would like to, so from a Standpoint of view why not have the Analytics done by OMS, and the Distributed Application still availible in the SCOM Console

I guess a class needs to be created so that you will see an cloud base solution or an exstension on the Azure MP

• Pontus Blomqvist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is critical for us to get this function in SCOM. We can NOT use cloud services for our monitoring. If this will fall out of the 2016 development we are forced to move away from SCOM to some other product for our application monitoring. We have regulations that demands onprem solutions. We bought an onprem Product (SCOM) and are paying SA license for that Product so please give us value for our investments.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also have to agree with Roger on this. It would be a big loss if this was only available in OMS and not in SCOM. A lot of people had made a huge investment in their SCOM Environment. The dynamic application discovery would be the "last piece of the puzzle" for our SCOM Environment and the monitoring of services without the manual.

• Stefan Roth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At this point in time most customers still prefer on premise solutions for many reason like Roger Salinas mentioned.

• Roger Salinas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are a big financial institution and big scom users, monitoring both windows and linux machines, and planning to get more into APM and network monitoring over the next year. To the question about using OMS to gain ability for auto-discovery of application dependencies, I would say NO, if this option was only available in OMS and had to use it with our on-prem SCOM, I wouldn't use it because that would mean we would have to put our data into the cloud.

I would prefer and vote to have the auto-discovery made available to on-prem customers as well.

We've made decisions on other products based off their options for cloud only solutions vs. on-prem solutions. We will always pick the on-prem solution for the fact of keeping our data safe and secure in our own datacenter.

• Lars Villaume commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Synchronization of Factfinder performance data to the SCOM data warehouse for transaction performance SLO configurations.

Feedback and Knowledge Base