I suggest you ...

Better / flexible Notifications, Subscriptions

The subscriptions are very limited in setting criterias. A more granular targeting and options would help deliver more accurate notifications. E.g. there is no way to exclude.

235 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Stefan Roth shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have done enhancements to Notifications and subscriptions area, these enhancements will be shipped with SCOM 2019 (which will be available in Q1 2019).

Enhancements made in Notifications and Subscriptions area:
    - Powerful criteria builder: Administrators will be able to leverage the advanced/flexible criteria builder which enables you to perform “Exclusions”, “OR” operation, regular expressions and multi-level “AND”/“OR” grouping in criteria
    - Rich HTML email: Administrators will be able to leverage the default HTML email template or create their own HTML email content. Operators will be able to directly launch the “Alerts details page”, “Alert Source details page” or the “Rule/Monitor details page” directly from the email to get access to more relevant information.

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! Definitely need the ability to exclude certain objects, types of events, servers, certain times of day/week, etc.

• Martijn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is any website moderator or similar managing threads on this forum at all?
        How long are threads open? How to know if suggested ideas are picked up/cancelled/whatever.

It feels like 'just another spam wall'.

• Martijn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Making subscriptions can be very difficult in picking the right objects to add.
        The problem arises in the current limitation of the Object Search window presented.
        The Object Search window for this particular criteria allows you to filter by name (partial) name of the class.
        However the results only present the Name field of the class instance. Practically I need to see the Path and/or Source too to be able to determine if I'm selecting the correct one.

• Ronnie Gibson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely agree that exclusion criteria need to be available for notifications. I can't believe this isn't there already...it's hardly the most difficult thing to develop in a product of this size and complexity!

• Brandy Reid - https://www.linkedin.com/in/brandyreid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to have the ability to exclude Oracle Alerts from showing up in the Unix Views. Unix Engineers are not oncall for Oracle Databases and do not need to see Oracle Alerts.

I've had two cases opened with Microsoft and at this current time, exclusions for Unix are not available. I've added the Oracle metrics into the Excluded Members Tab for the group but it doesn't work.

My current work around has been to override all the Unix Rules and Monitors to alert with a Critical Severity and High Priority and override all the Oracle Rules and Monitors to alert with a Critical Severity and Medium Priority.

This is working to deliver the oncall notifications to the correct oncall team but the Oracle Alerts still show up in the Unix Views..

• Helge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great would be some kind of simple self-service un-/subscription webpage for users.
        That way each user could decide which alerts/computers he wants to subscribe or be notified on.
        The administration overhead would become minimized and all discussions why and by whom an alert was send to an user become pointless.

• Sergey Mukhin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if developers rewrites subscriptions + subscribers on native classes with relationships with filter properties.
        It will give ability to discover Subscriptions/Subscribers from third party sources as SQL databases/AD/Exchange distribution groups.

• Curtiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

how about using the words "critical" or "warning" for the priority in notifications, instead of using the numbers "1" and "2". some of us use "Severity 1" as the most critical, some of us use "Severity 3" as most critical. so using the numbers microsoft chose is not great for everybody.

• Curtiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

look to group policy preferences for how granular things should be. we need some OR logic. with one subscription I should be able to notify the BizTalk team of all alerts generated from prod BizTalk Servers by any BizTalk class, as well as generated by the logical disk free space monitor.

[generated by BiztalkProdServergroup]
        AND
        [[generated by classX] OR [generated by monitorY.]]

I don't want to put the whole 'logical disk' class into the BizTalk notification. I just want that one monitor so they can clean up their own disks.

also, as someone else stated, I shouldn't have to create a separate channel every time I want to change the email format. this should be per-subscription.

it would also be super if the email contained the friendly displayname of the subscription instead of a guid I have to look up.

Completely agree re Excludes, at the moment we have to get really granular with our groups to basically achieve what an exclude would do for us. Please introduce the ability to do something like below
        Send an alert if servers are part of x group, however if they are part of group y as well do not send it.

+1 for including notification destinations such as CC, BCC for email notifications. This is exposed via powershell & SDK but not in the gui interface which makes it unusable for a large team.

The structure of the notifications internal mp has the notification format independent of the channel. The wizard should honor this so we don't have to have multiple channels when having multiple formats.

Feedback and Knowledge Base