I suggest you ...

HTML5 Portal

This is a request for a web console that is based on HTML5 and not on silver light. I also need full admin functionality in the portal so I don't have to switch between windows and web console.

1,014 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SCOM PMs shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not invest into buying SquaredUp ? If they can sell an "addon" product for a full price of license, something went terrbily wrong at your side

• Noah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is fantastic news as you continue to move towards a unified console for everything.

Our biggest struggle today is in order to provide users reporting capabilities, we need to install the Ops Console on Citrix and have users log in there since we don't want to be in the business of supporting multiple Ops Consoles out in the wild.

It will be great to ultimately have one place to go for everything and have to install a thick client anymore where we can continue to use the roles to scope down what end users see and don't see versus an administrator who sees everything.

• AdminSCOM PMs (Program Manager, Microsoft System Center Operations Manager) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As we had stated during the GA of the SCOM 2016, we have started our plan to remove SliverLight dependency from the SCOM Web console. In GA we had the dependency removed for all views in the console other than the dashboard view, which we had stated that we will be working on it post GA.

We are glad to state that we are completing that work, and soon will have it available for preview.
        With that we will have a version of web console that completely gets rid off SilverLight dependency.

There will be still work for us to add few more widgets and having to build a framework and process in place for the MPs to replace the dashboard definitions in the MP from Silverlight based to HTML5 based. We will continue to work with those change and work with MP partners to have that transition smooth as far as possible.

Consolidating all the SCOM functionalities like the administration, authoring and reporting as well from the web console is on our backlog. We will evaluate that ask against all others in our backlog and plan it accordingly.

Thanks and appreciate the patience and support.

SilverLight is being deprecated time for the WebConsole to be Upgraded.

HTML 5

• rob1974 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HTML5 is wanted, but the main thing for me that it has to also has to be fast. Which also means other SCOM performance issues need to be addressed.
        Squared up tackled a performance issue for widespread (end user) dashboards, by creating an image instead and showing that to endusers instead of every "console" user doing SCOM queries themselves. That could definitely help as well (not meant for the techies that actually needs to work with scom ofcourse).

Our environment is using EM7 because SCOM doesn't have a web-based html5 management console that is fast and reactive.

• Matthew Carr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Savision offers a full html5 front-end portal for SCOM, with 2-way direct connection into the SCOM console to make changes without the need for any Silverlight

• Samuel Tegenfeldt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is by far the most requested feature from my customers, no matter the size of the organization. Most of them buy SquaredUp today, which is an awesome product, but the fact that you cannot view an alert from your mobile devices without 3:rd party products is so very odd today. And, sure... make it so that it can be integrated in Sharepoint, but please make it stand-alone. Make it HTML5, responsive, fast, fully featured (no need for a deployed "fat" console) and able to run behind a proper load balancer.

You know what? I would be glad to not even have a fat console to begin with. Make the web console the only console, make it integral to the Management Server role.

• Wilson Wong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To expand on another posters comment about Sharepoint Online dashboard compatibility....yes absolutely this. Currently you can publish SCOM dashboards to Sharepoint. But you can't do this with Sharepoint in Office365 due to the multi-tenant environment which doesn't allow you to install those custom web parts on the server.

I haven't seen any improvements in the dashboards in the latest SystemCenter 2016 tech preview 3 which is worrying to me......I'm really hoping that some serious improvements are in the works as this is the number one issue that makes IT staff not want to use SCOM. It is embarrassing in meetings to show SCOM with all it's dashboard performance problems next to other monitoring tools that don't have those issues. It creates a very negative impression of the tool amoung IT executive staff.

• Rand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

squaredup.com perhaps they acquire them... why reinvent the wheel

• Serge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely true, we need the web console with something like HTML5. Currently users would not use it because it's Silverlight, it's too slow, there not enough fonctionnality...

• Wilson Wong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should also be a way to display dashboards optimized for mobile devices like the iPhone.

That way on-call IT staff can check distributed apps and dashboards at a glance without being tied to a laptop/desktop device.

• jean vjan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More than "HTML 5 portal", you need to do a huge step forward on every "vizualisation" aspects!
        this includes dashboards etc
        Scom already does a pretty good job at monitoring, but a poor one at rendering the information!

• Garry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also add that it should include reporting and the ability to create dashboards that can be embedded into SharePoint online etc..

Feedback and Knowledge Base