I suggest you ...

SCOM 2019 support for 2008 R2 Clients

We need support in SCOM 2019 for agents that are running Server 2008 R2. Almost a quarter of our servers are still 2008 R2, and this is a huge hang up for us in moving up. Since these are more legacy systems, most are also unable to be updated.

30 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Scott Perry shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's the rub - I can't suggest to the company we move to SCOM 2019 and have a quarter of my servers hoping for the best when it comes to monitoring right now. I can rig ways to make it work (and have in a dev SCOM 2019 environment for a worst case scenario test), but if anything goes awry there's nothing I can do.

I can't speak to what the others believe, but regardless of how much time is left in the support cycle, right now 2008 R2 IS a supported OS, even if that is just for extended support. That being the case, it would make sense for SCOM 2019 to support that operating system, at least in the present iteration. The 2019 agent runs on 2008 R2 - it does not seem like it would be that hard to support that OS in SCOM 2019, since I've been able to do it in a throw together test environment. I understand not officially supporting it past next January and in future releases of SCOM, but we really are dead in the water with this until 2008 R2 is gone out of our environment.

When I'm already having to defend this product internally, being in this situation helps very little. The reality is that, because of how Microsoft has moved forward on this, I have the option of running SCOM unsupported (since I've got 1807 at the moment), or upgrading SCOM and having however many of my servers are left at 2008 R2 being unsupported come January. That number is questionable, but the theory is the same. If the 2019 RTM supported it, at least I'd have some leeway as we finish transitioning.

By the way, Kevin - you've got a great blog. It's been a huge help to me with this product since I've taken it over at my company.

• Kevin Holman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm curious. The concern seems to be that you "cannot run unsupported". However, ANY support for Windows Server 2008R2 expires in Jan 2020, when Server 2008/2008R2 fallas out of Extended Support. Why would you want SCOM to support an OS that has no support at all?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Running unsupport really isn't an option. The problem is that we don't have any recourse if we run into an issue or something doesn't monitor or discover properly. We are moving forward with upgrades but it'll be well over a year before 2008 R2 is migrated out. We can't run unsupported on half of my systems for that long.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could you not just install the 2016 agent and point it to your 2019 management server? Pretty sure that would work, it wouldn't be supported but it should work.

• Joe Andolino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With no support for Win2k8r2 (250+ out of 1000), we won't be able to go to SCOM 2019 until 2021! Can you rename the product to SCOM 2021 and re-release it then?

• T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have approx 400 servers remaining running 2k8R2, unfortunately had to stick with a 'new' deployment of SCOM 2016.

Would significantly benefit bring the HTML5 dashboard into SCOM 2016!

Feedback and Knowledge Base