I suggest you ...

Ability to turn off alerts not able to be closed in SCOM 2019

We need to be able to disable the feature preventing alerts from being closed if the monitor is in an unhealthy state.

As it currently stands integration with a Service desk such as Netcool is problematic as if the alert is closed in the service desk when the writeback happens to SCOM the chain breaks as the alert cannot always be closed in SCOM.

Feature below:

If you close an alert generated by a monitor (from the Operations Console “Active alerts” view) which is in a unhealthy state then the following message will be displayed and the alert will not be closed:

“Alert(s) in the current selection cannot be closed as the monitor(s) which generated these alerts are still unhealthy. For more details on the alerts which could not be closed, view the “Alert Closure Failure” dashboard in the Operations Manager Web Console”

103 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Warren Kahn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Scom Guy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is terrible. We send alerts to our ticketing system and we have a SquaredUp instance where our customers can close tickets out when they deem necessary. However, this now blocks that workflow and I'm not about to tell them that now, you first have to log into here, and then go here to reset the health, and then you can go back and close the alert. I'm sure there was a reason for this feature, but I don't think it should have been forced upon. There should have been the option somewhere in the Mgmt Console to enable/disable. Not a good start for SCOM 2019 IMO.

• Leo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a main SCOM guy in our shop. We do not like this change one bit. Sure, we had custom script running that resets unhealthy monitors for closed alert. But still current design where You have close menu option and then a seconds later warning box that i cannot actually close the alert.. Its infuriating, its like close alert functionality was removed. We greatly dislike this feature, but i understand why it was implemented. Still would like to be able to turn it off. Even with unsupported hack.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I stand by my suggestion that closed monitors trigger a reset... I know there's issues with that from a performance standpoint, but I think it makes more sense to just rearchitect and accept it.

• Kevin Holman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is going to be critical. Not all customers will like or benefit from this change. Many customers are happy about this - but it will be a deployment blocker to others. This must be something that can be switched on or off in Alert closure behavior - or we will break the Alert Lifecycle policy of customers who have invested deeply into integrations for alerts to ticketing systems, in my opinion.

Feedback and Knowledge Base