General Operations Manager Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with SCOM? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another SCOM customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building SCOM. We have already added some of the feedback we received through the TAP program and the recent SCOM survey.

This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to SCOM.
Be specific on your feedback. The more specific, the easier and quicker for us to review. Please be concise!!

If you have technical questions or need help with SCOM, please try visit our MSDN forums.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. HP-UX Agent Support in SCOM 2019

I was reviewing the supported UNIX/Linux OSs at the following location:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/scom/plan-supported-crossplat-os?view=sc-om-2019 and took note that support for HP-UX has been removed. This is creating a problem for my current customer since they use HP-UX and will continue to use HP-UX. According to my customer HP-UX is still supported through 2025, so removing monitoring support in SCOM 2019 is going to be a problem. While I understand there may be workarounds for this issue, I am also concerned about maintaining the customer's environment in a supported configuration.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Unix/Linux Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Reduce the timeout for Rules and monitors in Network Management Pack monitoring

Please reduce the Timeout parameter for all Rules and monitors, which is configured to 3500 secs as default. This is causing loops in Management server workflows and making Management Server to drop critical data. The timeouts for all rules and monitors are set to 3500 despite the workflow interval is set to 300 secs or 900 secs. Please adverse the Management pack with priority and appropriate value for monitors and rules.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Network Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Azure Management Pack Features - Survey request from PG

https://microsoft.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9GhktKqx11ojgkR

Please fill in this short survey and help us identify the areas of improvement and requested features in Azure Management Pack in SCOM. Thanks!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support monitoring/collection of 32-bit performance counters on 64-bit operating systems

SCOM cannot monitor or collect data for 32-bit performance counters on 64-bit operating systems. A workaround is to use a PowerShell script which calls 32-bit PowerShell and makes use of the Get-Counter command, but this causes significant load on the system processor when collecting data for multiple counters. I feel that there should be native support for this scenario that avoids this need to launch 32-bit PowerShell separately.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Container Monitoring in SCOM

Support for container monitoring in SCOM.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Unix/Linux Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Revamp the SCOM Installer

There are a lot of posts about the SCOM installation here, but this one is a bit different, although a full revamp of the installer is really in order.

First and foremost, I'd like to see the requirement of a user account with a user profile for installation removed. One could still use a SCOM admin account with DB rights to install, I would think, if the installer wrote the install logs to a different location. Right now, it needs a valid user profile, which makes it impossible to install using tools like SCCM.

I'd like to see the wrapper…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup and Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Management Pack to monitor ADFS 2019 MP

HI, Brian Wren had mentioned that Microsoft would always have a Management Pack for every Microsoft product. Currently Microsoft does NOT have an MP to monitor ADFS

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Expand MySQL Management Pack

Expand MySQL Management Pack to include features like monitoring individual databases and replication status. The current offering, while a good start, is lacking many needed features.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other Management Packs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. SCOM2016/2019 Web Consoles - Need Mgmt Group Name added to header bar

Folks, we have multiple instances of SCOM running, many of which are accessed by the same teams. In the Web Console the Mgmt Group name is not visible anywhere on the screen and teams are finding it difficult to understand which console they are currently connected to. Can the Mgmt Group name be added to the header bar?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. licensing structure of SCOM 2019 / System Center 2019

How the licensing structure for SCOM 2019 is? If we have procured license for SCOM 1801 or 1807. Is the same license can be applied once upgrading to SCOM 2019?

Is there any license structure change for SCOM 2019 / System Center 2019

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. User Auditing Reporting to show what actually changed with Management Packs overrides and Agent Installation.

Show details of what changed and allow to revert those kind of changes for better monitoring security.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Include performance data for Azure Stack PAAS Capacities (MSSQL, MYSQL, etc)

I am able to gather performance data that includes the total storage, memory, and public IPs available for an Azure Stack region but i cannot get data for the PAAS storage capacities. This is viewable within the SQL adapter section of the admin portal dashboard of Azure Stack, but i would like to add it to the SCOM dashboard as a performance widget to give a holistic overview of the whole region.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Azure Management Pack  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. SCOM SDK does not use encryption when it establishes connections to the Operationsmanager & OperationsmanagerDW DB's as how SCVMM does.

We have SCOM & SCVMM databases hosted in the same SQL server and noticed that SCOM SDK does not use encryption when it establishes connections to the Operationsmanager & OperationsmanagerDW DB's as how SCVMM does.

We use the below SQL query to validate the same:

Select distinct se.session_id, dbname= case when dbid = 0 then null when dbid <> 0 then db_name(dbid) end,
    se.login_time,host_name, se.program_name,login_name, con.encrypt_option, getdate() as 'logdate'
    from sys.dm_exec_sessions se
    LEFT JOIN sys.sysprocesses sp on se.session_id = sp.spid
    LEFT JOIN sys.dm_exec_connections con
    ON con.session_id = se.session_id
    WHERE NOT encrypt_option IS NULL and db_name(dbid) like '%Operationsmanager%'

The field named…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow pasting a list of servers when creating a Maintenance Mode schedule

We have thousands of servers we monitor and each week a subset (hundreds of them) are worked on during the maintenance window. It's very time consuming to manually find a couple hundred servers in a list of several thousand. Since we have a list of all the affected servers from our change control system, It would be great if we could just paste the server list into the Maintenance Mode Scheduler to create a one time schedule.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. mount point

The Windows Server OS MP v6.0.7323.0 is discovering the System Reserved \\?\Volume as a mounted disk when you create an override to enable the Mount Point Discovery Rule. This appears to be the case only for Server 2008 and 2012 but not for Server 2016. This behavior was addressed in an older version of the OS MP v6.0.7297.0. Did Microsoft forgot to include the fix in the current version? We need to monitor the mount points on our servers but there isn't a way to exclude just the \\?\Volume from the mount point discovery. Please advise on a fix. Thanks!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Windows Server OS Management Pack  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. @Microsoft: Loosing of Sense in SCOM

Hi,
    I have been involved with SCOM for about 2.5 years and have been working with all versions of SCOM starting from SCOM 2016.
    Microsoft makes "developments" in SCOM, and now we have switched to the newest version SCOM 2019.
    Actually, every development is connected with progress. The word "development" includes this meaning.
    Unfortunately, I cannot see this sense at SCOM absolutely. It's getting worse, not better. This is not a "development", but a "reversal".

I have already listed the problems with SCOM 2019 in my other problem tickets in Technet forums, and looked at solutions. Now we have another…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Setup and Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 support (RHEL 8)

Any idea when is RHEL 8 going to be supported? My customers are already deploying servers in RHEL8 and we cannot provide monitoring for them.

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Unix/Linux Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. PKI Certificate Monitoring for Unix/Linux

In addition to developing the PKI Certificate Monitoring MP directly and not having to rely on 3rd party, add the ability to monitor PKI Certificates in Unix/Linux environments.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Linux Read Only Monitoring

The ability for SCOM Operations Manager to monitor when a Linux file system goes into read only mode

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Node properties should reflect currently effective data

Current design for node location property is to show the last known value. For example a device is added and has a location this location is shown. If the location field is made empty the property in SCOM is not updated. This behavior is a deviation from the normal behavior for object properties as they do reflect the current effecitve data. Please remove this deviation and always show the current effective value, if we want to know a historical value we do have a data warehouse and reporting capabilities.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Network Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 29 30
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base