General Operations Manager Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with SCOM? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another SCOM customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building SCOM. We have already added some of the feedback we received through the TAP program and the recent SCOM survey.

This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to SCOM.
Be specific on your feedback. The more specific, the easier and quicker for us to review. Please be concise!!

If you have technical questions or need help with SCOM, please try visit our MSDN forums.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SQL Server 2017 AlwaysOn - clr strict security leads to console error after failover of the OperationsManager database

Due to security changes in SQL server 2017 it is not allowed to run dll's that are not signed (clr strict security). Please update the documentation with a workaround like adding the dlls to the list of trusted assemblies (SELECT * FROM sys.trusted_assemblies) in SQL on the secondary replica. Maybe a permanent fix is to sign the files. See this thread also https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/195c0bd5-115c-4cff-8ae3-4109f59c9b1e/could-not-load-file-or-assembly-microsoftenterprisemanagementsqluserdefineddatatype-in-an?forum=operationsmanagerdeployment

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Setup and Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Revamp the SCOM Installer

There are a lot of posts about the SCOM installation here, but this one is a bit different, although a full revamp of the installer is really in order.

First and foremost, I'd like to see the requirement of a user account with a user profile for installation removed. One could still use a SCOM admin account with DB rights to install, I would think, if the installer wrote the install logs to a different location. Right now, it needs a valid user profile, which makes it impossible to install using tools like SCCM.

I'd like to see the wrapper…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. @Microsoft: Loosing of Sense in SCOM

Hi,
    I have been involved with SCOM for about 2.5 years and have been working with all versions of SCOM starting from SCOM 2016.
    Microsoft makes "developments" in SCOM, and now we have switched to the newest version SCOM 2019.
    Actually, every development is connected with progress. The word "development" includes this meaning.
    Unfortunately, I cannot see this sense at SCOM absolutely. It's getting worse, not better. This is not a "development", but a "reversal".

I have already listed the problems with SCOM 2019 in my other problem tickets in Technet forums, and looked at solutions. Now we have another…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Setup and Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support for Windows Server 2019 agents on SCOM 1807

Please, provide support for Windows Server 2019 agents on SCOM 1807. I could bet it works fine, but haven't tested yet
    I can't migrate to SCOM 2019, as I still have to monitor some 2008 agents (that will still take some time to migrate)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. SCOM Installer Failure with RC4 Protocol Disabled

SCOM 1801/1807 installer and discovery wizard fails to work until I had to enable RC4 on the DC, SCOM management server, and the SCOM database server. Please remove the RC4 dependency. I had to find this article to figure out that RC4 was my issue. https://nathangau.wordpress.com/2018/06/22/scom-installer-failure-with-rc4-protocol-disabled/

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Setup and Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Fix SSRS 2017 Integration

When rolling out SSRS 2017, once you add the SCOM Report Server role to it, the Reports page only gives a 500 error. Reports work in the console, but can no longer get to the web interface.

110 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Setup and Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. SCOM 1801: Login Session Expired on Internet Browser related to Web Console

Hi,
    when user or admin browse alert link URL to SCOM 1801 Web Console, then the user first get the error
    „Your session with the Web console server expired“, although the user was not logged on before.

If user choose then „Use Alternate Credentials“, he/she can log in.

Microsoft Premium Support says that is "by design". We cannot call the BUGS "by design". This is a BUG in SCOM 1801, and must be solved asap.
    We have a very large IT infrastructure and this feature is very important for us.

Best regards

Birdal

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Setup and Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Install prerequisites automatically if missing

Please just provide the option and bundle the prerequisites for IIS / Report Viewer / CLR stuff and whatnot you might require during setup. This can easily be bundled with Setup software and releases a lot of administrative overhead

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Update SCOM to support CNG key stores

Currently, even the latest version, 1807, does not support the use of CNG key store based certificates. This goes against Microsoft best practices of not using CSP key store based certificates. ADFS began support in version 4.0. Even SCCM now supports it as of its latest version. This makes this product unusable in environments requiring CNG certificates.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Controlled agent rollout

When updates are applied to SCOM there is usually an update to the SCOM client agent also. Unfortunately there is no way from the SCOM console to roll the agent update out in a controlled manner. While in SCCM there is the ability to send the updated client to different deployment rings. This sort of functionality would be ideal in SCOM.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. After Management Server removal, some orphaned objects remain

After the deletion of a management server according the description in https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh456439(v=sc.12).aspx some objects will remain
    Those objects can just get deleted through manual operations in the database. ==> Custom SP dbo.sp_RemoveObjectByTypedManagedEntityId
    The Health Service Watcher Object always remains after deletion.
    This behaviour is reproducible with SCOM 2012 R2 and SCOM 2016

Expected Behavior
    The customer expects that if he strictly follows the step-by-step instructions to remove a management server from the management group, nothing should remain somewhere, neither in the database nore in the filesystem, registry or somewhere else

Analysis
    I reproduced the problematic behavior in two different environments…

101 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Bug in SCOM 1801 webconsole view (with workaround)

Hi,

After upgrading SCOM to 1801 you'll get a blank page when trying to access the webconsole with URL "...../operationsmanager".
    This bug only appears in IE11 - other browsers (chrome/FF/Edge) represent the webconsole without problems.

It seems to be a problem with the document mode (the correct document mode should be "Edge" but "IE=7" is used by default. So IE11 is not able to show the webconsole correctly. To resolve this issue you have to add the following HTTP Response Header in IIS of the websites OperationsManager and MonitoringView:
    Name: X-UA-Compatible
    Value: IE=edge

After that the webconsole will work correctly.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Setup and Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Install-SCOMAgent cmdlet doesn't configure failover Management Server(s)

Hi,

Deploying agents using the Install-SCOMAgent cmdlets seems to do the exact same process as pushing agents from the console as when you run the cmdlet you can see that the installation is in progress by looking in Pending Actions in the console.

However it seems not to be exactly the same process as Agents deployed using the cmdlet don't seem to be aware of failover Management Servers and doing Get-SCOMAgent then looking at .GetFailoverManagementServers() confirms that as it returns nothing.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. SCOM 1801 supports Language compatibilty in operations Manager Console

Whether SCOM 1801 supports Language compatibilty of changing operations Manager Console in GUI as we have it in SCSM console

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. BUG in Microsoft SCOM 2016 Web Console: "500 - Internal Server Error" !!!! SOLVED !!!!

Dear Microsoft IIS/SCOM Developer Team,

we have a absolutely new SCOM 2016 infrastructure and had had until today issue with the SCOM 2016 Web Console.

I created related to "500 - Internal server error" some forum questions. Also I read the similar 500 error on other discusiions in Technet forums.

Finally I found the BUG in SCOM 2016 Web Console!

I will list the bug in IIS/SCOM and my solution, and also want that MICROSOFT should make a statement to this issue!

ISSUE:

If any user try to access to SCOM 2016 Web Console, "500 - Internal server error" will…

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  8 comments  ·  Setup and Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow Operations Manager Reporting to use Kerberos.

Many customers are disabling the use of NTLMv1 can the Operations Manager Reporting installation and operations (access) to reporting be forced to use Kerberos.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Have GetOpsMgrDBPercentFreeSpace.vbs capture growth potential of Database, not just current size

The current script does not take into account the maxsize info located in the sp_helpfile. Currently the SQL MP does a better job of monitoring this? Maybe reuse their script?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add load-balancing support for the new SCOM 1801 Web Console

Add load-balancing support for the new SCOM 1801 Web Console. This isn´t supported in SCOM 2012 or 2016, but works perfectlyfine to set up and get running with a network load-balancer.

This is ia must-have at least in the new web console.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Setup and Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base