General Operations Manager Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with SCOM? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another SCOM customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building SCOM. We have already added some of the feedback we received through the TAP program and the recent SCOM survey.

This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to SCOM.
Be specific on your feedback. The more specific, the easier and quicker for us to review. Please be concise!!

If you have technical questions or need help with SCOM, please try visit our MSDN forums.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Invalid ‘Data Access Service SPN Not Registered’ entries in the ‘Operations Manager’ event log

As per Kevin Holman’s article entitled ‘OpsMgr 2012: What should the SPN’s look like?’ (i.e. https://kevinholman.com/2011/08/08/opsmgr-2012-what-should-the-spns-look-like/), please correct the following erroneous event log entries that are logged when the SDK service is restarted (and configured with an AD account):

Event Log: Operations Manager
    Event ID: 26371
    Event Source: OpsMgr SDK Service
    Event Level: Warning
    Event Description:

The System Center Data Access service failed to register an SPN. A domain admin needs to add MSOMSdkSvc/MS1 and MSOMSdkSvc/MS1.contoso.com to the servicePrincipalName of CN=MS1,CN=Computers,DC=contoso,DC=com

The events are still being logged, even in SCOM 2019.

Thank you,

107 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    started  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Prevent objects already in manual maintenance mode, entering automatic maintenance mode

If you, for instance, put several Windows Computers in maintenance via the scheduler and one of them was already put in maintenance manually, that one will get out of maintenance when the scheduler ends.
    Same deal for hosted objects that were put in maintenance manually.

Also check here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/e2af78b9-70b2-4282-b647-71f41dc0b476/scom-20162019-maintenance-schedules-stop-manually-configured-maintenance?forum=operationsmanagergeneral

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Neha Garg responded

This feature is planned for 2019 UR2. The furthest end time on the object will be honored with 2019 UR2.

3. Fix the script used to monitor the cluster disks

When monitoring the Windows 2016 Failover Cluster disks, the script (Microsoft.Windows.Server.MonitorClusterDisks.vbs) times out and also causes the clussvc.exe to use excessive amount of CPU usage (on average 25% with peaks to 100%) if the cluster has a higher amount of physical disks (100). The systems are physical servers, with Xeon CPUs (8 physical cores + HT). The script does eventually finish if ran manually, but it needs 25 minutes...

75 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Windows Server OS Management Pack  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Web Console - make Details pane resizable in Safari and Chrome on macOS

I'm using a Mac and open the web console of SCOM 1807 in Chrome or Safari. Clicking on a result in Results pane, I get only a couple of lines in the Details pane. Although I can drag and drop the grey line between the Results and Details pane, it constantly reverts to it's former position.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. UNIX/Linux Management Pack Updates via SCOM 2012 R2

We generally check the catalog regularly for updated Management Packs in SCOM 2012 R2. The catalog is currently showing what appear to be incorrect versions of the MPs for the customers still on 2012 R2:

It might be a good idea to correct this, since these versions will break UNIX/Linux monitoring in SCOM 2012 R2, at the very least agent deployment will be broken.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Unix/Linux Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Prevent running MaintenanceMode from being overwritten

Using the Maintenance Mode Scheduler that came with SCOM 2016 is pretty cool but there is no mechanism to detect if a server is already in MM. If we put a server in maintenance mode e. g. for 48 hours and someone else doesn't know this and schedules another MM let's say for 2 hours then the ealier scheduled MM of 48 hours will be overwritten and the MM ends after the 2 hours. So there should be a logic which checks if a MM is already set and how long. If the newly scheduled time period is shorter than…

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

With SCOM 2019 UR2, maintenance schedule will end at furthest end time. if there is a conflict in maintenance schedule on an object , then the furthest end time will be honored.

7. Solve Maintenance mode Conflict by use the furthest end time.

Best way to explain is an exemple.

I put a logical drive in Maintenance Mode for 60 Min.

If my collegue put the windows Computer in maintenance WITH Child Iems for 15 min during my maintenance, My logical disk will be out of maintenance a the end on the Computer Maintenance.

Normaly i expect the maintenance on my Logical disk should be end at his scheduled end time MINIMUM never Before.

Thanks

62 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This feature is planned for 2019 UR2. The furthest end time on the object will be honored with 2019 UR2.

8. Reduce CPU impact for SCOMpercentageCPUTimeCounter script

The SCOMpercentageCPUTimeCounter (vbs or ps1) used by Agent processor utilization rule and monitor runs on each agent every 5 minutes (321 sec) and with a sync time set to 00:00.

This causes CPU spike on virtualization hosts.

131 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please leave your email id in comments if you would like to test this fix.

9. UI resizing in web console when using Edge browser

When using the Edge browser to view the web console, you are unable to resize any of the sections. When you click on a border, you will get a error icon (red circle with red line).

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Auditing changes in SCOM

I have no way to know who made what changes in the SCOM environment. There are multiple admins and they change settings such as Install MPs/ Remove MPs/ Change Overrides/ Author new rules/ Change Admin settings/ Create new users/etc. There is never a way to know who did what.

This is a feature request to Audit all major changes to the SCOM environment.

497 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    21 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Prevent Management Servers to be put into Maintenance Mode

Make a bool setting on each Management Server object to check mark, that this MS cannot be accidentally put into Maintenenance Mode. This would avoid a lot of Problems for customers who put servers into Maintenance Mode.

102 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  6 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base