General Operations Manager Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with SCOM? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another SCOM customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building SCOM. We have already added some of the feedback we received through the TAP program and the recent SCOM survey.

This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to SCOM.
Be specific on your feedback. The more specific, the easier and quicker for us to review. Please be concise!!

If you have technical questions or need help with SCOM, please try visit our MSDN forums.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Whether MP for server 2016, Nano and Azure been been released in SCOM TP3 release

Whether MP for server 2016, Nano and Azure been been released in SCOM TP3 release

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Other Management Packs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable the MySQL MP's to support Clusters

The introduced functions for monitoring MySQL is a great step in the right direction, but to be of any real value in the business this functionality needs to be extended with support for Monitoring MySQL Clusters.

The Pack should discover if the node is configured as a cluster member, identify the remaining partners, and adopt monitoring to expose cluster related health details.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Unix/Linux Monitoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. MMA Agent as a Windows Feature, DSC for Agent

Make the SCOM agent as part of the windows Server OS. DSC for agent to control MG/MS an agent reports to.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup and Deployment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Faster group creation and importing via text file

I'd like to import object based on a text file or csv. This makes making groups easier when naming schemes are not consistent.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Schedule on overrides

Some times I (my customers) could use a feature like this.

Scenario - some rule or monitor cause and alert to be raised. The root cause is found and fix is planned. Now until the fix is implemented the Ops Team don't want to get more alerts, so they configure an override with an expiration data matching the planned change date.

admittedly, in many cases it would be best practice to change the resolution state to like "Open Incident" and let the repeat count increase and for the monitor let I be in what ever state until fixed, but that's…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Server / Windows Computer Groups dynamic via Server Role

Be able to create, within the console, computer groups such as the IIS computer group based on Computer Role (such as IIS, SharePoint, Exchange etc.). In the console currently limited to instance group creation.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Authoring  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Dynamic Groups for components within Distributed Application

Just that, because currently you have to export out the group criteria syntax for the dynamic group and then cut and paste to the Distributed Application XML. Fine if you know what you're doing, but not for most SCOM admins where SCOM is not the main part of their job. It also then means that the DA cannot be edited within the GUI after modification via XML.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Show instance name within performance view on mouse over event

If several workflows are enabled on a performance view it is hard to find the instance looking at a specific line. If the mouse is placed on a specific line the timestamp and sample are displayed, please include also the object and instance.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Operator permissions to view configuration and thresholds

Operators are often asking for the effective threshold and configuration of a workflow at the moment a state change is happening or an alert is generated.

Giving the operators the permissions and an easy way to view the effective threshold and configuration would ease life and make there work a lot easier.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Incremental search in dialog boxes

There are many "drop down" boxes used in the scom console. When clicking on the box such as a "class" dropdown, if I know I want to select "Windows Computer" I can only type "W" to get to that section of the list, then have to scroll and find the item. It would be nice to be able to continually type either the beginning or substring of an item and have it go to that specific section. eg. "Windows com" would either take me directly to that item or very close. Right now as soon as I would hit "Wi"…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Resolution state - allow for more than one that is considered closed

When you create a new Resolution state, for example, I have one that is "Closed by Incident". I use this to show the ones that have been closed by the technician from the incident, and leave the Closed ones to show ones closed by the Health State returning to healthy.
    Problem with this is that the Closed by Incident alerts are not groomed as SCOM doesn't recognise them as Closed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. TCP port checks show end point and port

You can't search for the TCP end point from within Authoring or Monitoring. So unless you put the end point in the description, you can't find it again without digging through the management pack xml.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Website monitoring to handle user journeys better

Website monitoring can't handle password pages where the authentication is selected random characters. For example when a page wants characters 2, 5, and 9 from your password.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Have a GUI to create Powershell Dashboards that show near realtime information

Have a simple GUI that allows non-Progammers to create useful dashboards that can be created for Plasma Walls and for Technical Staff who can quickly identify potential problems.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Make sure that the default alert priority of all rules and monitors is set to 1 ("normal" resp.)

Then the Alert Priority which is almost useless at the moment can really be used as a criteria for subscriptions and connectors.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other Management Packs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. selective monitor to choose management pack per server

I would like to have an option to have a monitor nothing to monitoring what I need vs every management pack approach. For example, do my hyper-v hosts need to check for exchange monitors all the time? No so I would like to say these monitors only without doing some big to do for it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Dynamic graphing

I think it would be cool if scom graphs could highlight point in time areas to zoom in on for more detailed graphs. Its cumbersome to change the date and time to an estimated area.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Easier way to manage non trust systems.

Make it easier to manage non-domain/other domain systems. I understand the need to encrypt communication. But id acceptable I'd like the option to allow non encrypted or bypass security certs and provide encryption. This is more small business friendly. Which I think SCOM should try and be.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Native DS Module for SQL Analysis services

For Collection rules, please allow Write Action to SQL Analysis cubes; or at least a tool that will allow migrating DW ---> SQL Analysis

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Make all Wizards the same

Some wizards have a finish button, some have a close button. Why are they different? The console is soo slow, I would prefer the last button to be "Execute and Close" but it would at least be nice if they were all the same.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base