General Operations Manager Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with SCOM? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another SCOM customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building SCOM. We have already added some of the feedback we received through the TAP program and the recent SCOM survey.

This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to SCOM.
Be specific on your feedback. The more specific, the easier and quicker for us to review. Please be concise!!

If you have technical questions or need help with SCOM, please try visit our MSDN forums.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Windows Certificate Monitoring in SCOM.

Hi Team,

I believe now a days its very common to use Certificates for secure communication including SCOM.

Its surprising we don't have any Mgmt Pack to monitor the same. However, we have third party mgmt. pack already but none is certified yet. I believe there should be certified Mgmt Pack.

Third Party:
    http://www.systemcentercentral.com/pack-catalog/pki-certificate-verification-mp/

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Other Management Packs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Discover multiple forests without trusts and properly show them in a diagram

The AD MP still doesn't seem to understand that many organisations have multiple forests, without trusts. If only for DTAP best practices. I would like a topology view, and health rollups, for each forest along with the trusts between them.

18 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        3 comments  ·  Other Management Packs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        under review  ·  SCOM PMsSCOM PMs responded

Thanks for your feedback. We are now reviewing your feedback and ranking it against the backlog of other requests we have for the ADDS MP. We will update the status of this feedback when we make a decision.

-Suraj

• Provide a management pack for Intune

Provide a management pack for Intune. The inability to provide any Operations Manager monitoring for Intune is a significant gap in the Microsoft story and directly opposed to the stated direction that Microsoft will have a management pack for all products. The cloud based solutions must be able to be monitored!

10 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Other Management Packs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add event ID override possibilities to the Remote Desktop MP, and possibly others

The Virtual Desktop Management monitor in the Remote Desktop Virtualization Host Role Service MP is just one of many examples of a monitor that triggers on several event ID's. It should be possible to filter out a subset of these ID's. To clarify: the monitor I mentioned, triggers on event ID's 4878,4608,4877,4876,4872,4875,4868 and 4869. The 4878 events are a consequence of the way the environment is configured, so these should not be shown but I do want to see the others.

Another, even more annoying, example is RDP licensing: event ID 21 is triggered every time a license server runs…

7 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            3 comments  ·  Other Management Packs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • AD Certificate Service - Online (OCSP) responder Monitoring

Do we have something to monitor OCSP for Active Directory Certificate Services?
            The current MP https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34765
            Note: CA only (no support for Online Responder or other Active Directory Certificate Services role Services)

I found a script but I was thinking if we have something embedded for SCOM https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Certificate-Authority-0c39cb4a#content

6 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • ADFS - "MEX Endpoint Is Unreachable" Monitor update to support Secondary Servers

The monitor goes unhealthy on ADFS Secondary servers because the script is only designed to run on the Primary server. Either make the script support secondary servers or the monitor's Condition Detection module detect that it is running on a seconday server (as the information is gathered in the discovery phase). Personally, the script should be doing the checking everytime and not rely on the discovery as the information from the discovery could be outdated (haven't checked as yet how often the discovery for this info).

5 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • url

More advanced website monitoring. Check for web page content on a java page.
                Have the details on what cause the website to generate an alert directly in the alert

5 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Shared Knowledge Base Management Pack

Create a TechNet and/or MS Forum MP that collects solutions from the SCOM userbase on MP alerts, overrides, etc.

4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • SQL MP - Last Run Status monitor alert should contain job error message in it

Its very strange to see 'Please see the alert context for detaills' in 2016 year.

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Make sure that the default alert priority of all rules and monitors is set to 1 ("normal" resp.)

Then the Alert Priority which is almost useless at the moment can really be used as a criteria for subscriptions and connectors.

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Standardize source and path across management packs

For drive space alerts, "source" is the drive, "path" is the computer. SCOM hearbeat alerts use "source" as the computer and "path" as the SCOM namespace path. SQL has "source" as the instance name, and "path" as the computer\instance name, and AD sets both to computer name. It would be good if these were standardized; for example, "source" could be the computer with the problem, and "path" may be the SCOM namespace path. Or perhaps a new field could be added for the computer name.

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Monitor Symantec Netbackup solution

Monitoring servers as network devices in an attempt to monitor Netbackup solution.

2 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Prevent duplicate unsealed MP Names

When creating an unsealed MP in the console for or customizations/overrides for sealed MP’s there’s no check for duplicate display names. If I have “Windows.Server.Overrides” I can continue adding “Windows.Server.Overrides” MP’s. When adding overrides on the fly it’s easy to miss the proper destination mp and create a new one. When (if) this is noticed in the future we have to export out one, see what it’s doing and import those settings into the first (and should be only) unsealed mp for that sealed mp.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • SharePoint Management Pack: Multiple Farms including Cross-Farm Shared Services

The current SharePoint Management Pack does not recognize the context of a SharePoint Farm, or rather, it assumes that all SharePoint servers are part of the same farm. Most all organization will have multiple farms (at a minimum they will have pre-production and production farms if they are doing any sort development). Many large organizations have multiple farm to consolidate services and/or content. If configured to do so, these farms can share services such as Managed Metadata, Search, and User Profiles. Monitoring and maintaining the many services within a SharePoint farm, as well as farm-to-farm services, in Operations Manager should…

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Whether MP for server 2016, Nano and Azure been been released in SCOM TP3 release

Whether MP for server 2016, Nano and Azure been been released in SCOM TP3 release

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • somehow link the Cluster MP & Hyper-V MP together so the Cluster MP knows which servers are replica's.

Having issues on customer sites where they have both MP's installed. The Cluster MP keeps alerting saying " Cluster resource is offline". Some sites i can just put all the replicas at one data center in a group and do it that way but the last few customers tend to not have all the replicas at one site so that doesn't work.

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base