General Operations Manager Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with SCOM? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another SCOM customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building SCOM. We have already added some of the feedback we received through the TAP program and the recent SCOM survey.

This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to SCOM.
Be specific on your feedback. The more specific, the easier and quicker for us to review. Please be concise!!

If you have technical questions or need help with SCOM, please try visit our MSDN forums.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Storage Spaces MP without VMM

To use storage spaces for generic file serices we need to be able to monitor storage spaces with SCOM without having any dependency on vMM.

Requiring VMM is only useful if you are using storage spaces in a fileserver for Hyper-V.

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Windows Server OS Management Pack  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Connect the HealthService watcher connectivity status to WindowsComputer

The HealthService watcher is what one would look at to see when a particular server becomes non-responsive.
      For lots of admins this is crucial, but the most apparent way to bring them info on their server(s) is to add the WindowsComputer to a view/subscription.

To make the scenario complete the WindowsComputer should have a monitor that is connected to the HealthService that informs that it is unavailable as well as a rule that informs when it has been restarted or experienced a DirtyShutdown.

15 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Windows Server OS Management Pack  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add file share monitoring

It would be nice if Microsoft provided a file share MP that is able to test, alert and report on up/down share status, growth, service status and read/write ability.

8 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Windows Server OS Management Pack  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add LogicalDisk VolumeName Property Discovery

Please add logic to the Server OS Logical Disk discoveries to return the VolumeName property.

7 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Windows Server OS Management Pack  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Add Processor Core Count to Microsoft.Windows.Computer class

In addition to Logical Processors and Physical Processors, please at Number of Cores as a property to the Windows Computer class. This is essential for calculating many licensing scenarios these days. (Get-WmiObject -class win32_processor -Property $property | %{$CPUCoreCount += $_.NumberOfCores}
            #$CPUCoreCount
            )

5 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Fix the Microsoft.Windows.Server.2008.Computer.Discovery

MP Version: 6.0.7296.0
              Discovery : Microsoft.Windows.Server.2008.Computer.Discovery

This discovery is targeted on Microsoft.Windows.Computer and therefore runs on non Win 2008 computers as well.

It contains ConditionDetections to determine wheter or not the computer has the correct OS and then executes a script discovery.

However, on computers not having Win 2008 it will get stuck and it seems that no *empty discovery data* is returned because the condition detection evaluated to false.

This results in hanging discovery processes and repeated 10000 Events.

A scheduled discovery task was not started because the previous task for that discovery was still executing.

Discovery name: Microsoft.Windows.Server.2008.Computer.Discovery …

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Fix Disk Partition to Logical Disk Discovery Rule (fails on Spanned Volumes)

Management Pack Name: Windows Server 2012 Operating System (Discovery)
                Management Pack Version: 6.0.7297.0
                Discovery Rule Name: Disk Partition to Logical Disk Discovery Rule
                Discovery Rule Target: Windows Server 2012 Disk Partition
                Discovered Relationships: Disk Partition Contains Logical Disk
                Description: This rule discovers the relationships between disk partitions and logical disks

Bug found in script DiskPartitionContainsLogicalDisk.ps1

Bug found on line 332:
                $oInstanceLogicalDisk.AddProperty("$MPElement[Name='Windows!Microsoft.Windows.LogicalDevice']/DeviceID$", $WMISet.DeviceID)

Problem Cause:
                The $WMISet could be of type System.Array if WMI query returns multiple objects. This can happen if the partition is part of a Dynamic Volume with Spanned Layout (mulitple disks for one volume).

Possible workarround could…

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Create a persistence parameter in Monitors

Add a persistence, either an set interval, or number of intervals before an alert condition generates an alert in the console.
                  This will keep transient issues (service restarts, reboots) from generating database insertions that are extraneous.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • operating system

Listed version is 6.0.7303.0, but after installation and attempting to import, it contains 6.0.7297.0.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base