General Operations Manager Feedback

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback.  Learn more

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with SCOM? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another SCOM customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building SCOM. We have already added some of the feedback we received through the TAP program and the recent SCOM survey.

This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to SCOM.
Be specific on your feedback. The more specific, the easier and quicker for us to review. Please be concise!!

If you have technical questions or need help with SCOM, please try visit our MSDN forums.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. TSelf-signed certificates on each managed computer should be removed as it hinders environments where a STIG disallows self signed certs

The requirement for Self-signed certificates (used for data encryption) on each managed computer should be addressed as it complicates management of environments where a STIG disallows self signed certs. Also a public (external) official MS whitepaper should be made available which states that these certs should not be altered or replaced with reasons why or a method provided to replace if this is supported.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Prevent Management Servers to be put into Maintenance Mode

Make a bool setting on each Management Server object to check mark, that this MS cannot be accidentally put into Maintenenance Mode. This would avoid a lot of Problems for customers who put servers into Maintenance Mode.

105 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  6 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Update SCOM like SCCM

use a tab like SCCM to select and self install and update scom by itself .

the tab should list each UR or version new features

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Multi Tenancy

Better Multi Tenancy support. As an hoster with both datacenter and on-premise customers we need better support for customers integration and general setup in the console.

127 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Enable activedirectory group usage in scom

The group functonality is not good. You should be able to use active directory groups to target MP:s/views and so on.

105 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Explosing the Monitoring Class name and Monitoring Object ID on the console

On the current SCOM console, only the display name of the monitoring class is visible. Would be nice if the actual monitoring class name, and the monitoring object ID can be displayed in the console (i.e. in the state views). This would help MP developers and SCOM users looking up objects when writing MPs, dashboards and scripts.

55 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Display MP where SCOM Group is stored

There is no easy way to figure out where the SCOM Group is located. A column in the GUI Authoring/Groups with the MP Name where the SCOM Group is stored.

45 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Group Population using PowerShell.

PowerShell Cmdlet to populate "Explicit Membership" groups. Should accept pipeline input or as string. Option to specify class. Here is an Example: Get-SCOMGroup _Displayname *Windows|Get-SCOMClassInstance | Add-SCOMGroup -GroupName 'Custom Windows Computers'

Another Example $list = Get-Content 'C:\servers.txt'
    $list |Add-scomgroup -ClassDisplayName 'Windows Computer'

67 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Datawarehouse Groom Setttings

I can change the SCOM operational database grooming settings from within the SCOM console. If I wanted to change SCOM Datawarehouse grooming settings, I have to download the dwdatarp utility from a blog post, get access to the DB and then set the groom settings. This is a request to add Datawarehouse groom settings to the Administration pane.

45 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Display Powershell code in SCOM Console when performing tasks.

The Exchange management console and some other System Center products display powershell strings when you perform certain management tasks in the console.

Basically when you do a certain task, the powershell code required to perform that task gets generated and displayed in the console. This allows you to easily cut & paste that code and insert them into your own scripts for automation.

It would be nice if the SCOM console had this same capability.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Create a more granular approach to the SCOM Administrator role. The bulk of our standard Operators require the ability to manage agents.

Create a more granular approach to the SCOM Administrator role. For example, the bulk of our standard Operators require the ability reinstall/repair/deploy agents. To do this they must be an Administrator, thereby opening them up to a plethora of options they absolutely do not need.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Agent Remotely Manageable Flag

There are actions I want to take on an agent such as "Change Primary Management Server","Repair","Uninstall" which are grayed out and not available in the console. They are greyed out because of a flag in the database that gets set when a agent is manually installed and not installed through the Console. These actions are disabled for such agents because when an agent is manually installed, SCOM assumes that it is for a reason and doesn't want to break it.

However, there are situations when an agent is manually installed but there is no need to disable these actions. In…

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. A powershell command for removing network devices so i can run it from Orchestrator

I have a work around to add network devices into SCOM using Orchestrator with a SharePoint list as the source and a SharePoint form as the interface.
    I have no way of deleting the same devices from SCOM using Orchestrator.
    I notice that for the network classes when i query them from powershell many of the values are read only and cannot be changed. i.e. i was hoping to change a network device to deleted so that a SCOM cleanup process would remove the device.
    I have seen code used for service manager blogged somewhere and it illustrates how to…

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Simpler Powershell interaction

interacting OpsMgr with Powershell is a nightmare. It must be like in ConfigMgr. Objects (and their properties and actions) in PS must be the same that in GUI

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Notification events

Give us some insights about what's going on in the notification channels, even if everything went fine (info events)

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add a column for maintenance mode under the Agent Managed view in Administration

Often when scanning through the agent-managed view in the Administration tab I will see agents that are grayed-out. I then have to go to the Monitoring Tab and look under "Windows Servers" in order to see if they are gray because they are in maintenance mode.

It would be nice to be able to see this under Administration as well so that I can easily tell if there is something wrong with an agent.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Faster group creation and importing via text file

I'd like to import object based on a text file or csv. This makes making groups easier when naming schemes are not consistent.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Improve User Role (Dashboards and Views) save performance

Change permissions on Dashboards and Views takes forever to save, currently +/- 40 min. This seems to be related to the number of classes, relations and views in the database.

This must be changed. It's not a workable situation that it would take 40 minutes to change just 1 view permission in 1 role.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. better query builder

I wish there was more of a user friendly way of creating queries for SCOM group, I been working on a group of non prod SQL server DB engine from 2005 -02017. using regular expression it is so messy. wish there was a better way to build the query.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. AD Integration from Gateways

Prior to SCOM 2012, AD Integration workflows could be run on a Management Server or on gateway in a remote domain. Beginning in 2012, the AD Publishing Pool owner performed any publishing, which removed the ability to publish SCOM containers in non trusted domains.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base