General Operations Manager Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with SCOM? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another SCOM customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building SCOM. We have already added some of the feedback we received through the TAP program and the recent SCOM survey.

This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to SCOM.
Be specific on your feedback. The more specific, the easier and quicker for us to review. Please be concise!!

If you have technical questions or need help with SCOM, please try visit our MSDN forums.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide fast Web-based Dashboard-functionality

For SLO's the most obvious usage is that management want to see that the services meet the SLO's. However, there is no good functionality to let them do so in SCOM today.
    Having them log in to a link on the web console takes way too long and providing them with the out-of-the-box reports is not good-looking.

The web presentation layer for this must be more appealing and fast-loading (2-5 seconds) as it is to be viewed at executive meetings. Having this online and available would make SCOM invaluable and the no 1 source for this data from their perspective. …

120 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Bring the Operational Insights reporting capabilities to on-prem SCOM

The reporting capabilties in the Operational Insights / OMS looks awesome!
      Unfortulately, lots of SCOM setups cannot for several regulatory reasons not be connected to the Operational Insights / OMS.
      Please bring the equivalent experience to the on-prem SCOM solutions as well.

84 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Normalize Data in the SCOM DW so that reports like the "Top N" report can be run against all OSes in one report.

There are 3 data values, for example, for CPU performance depending on if it's Win 2008, R2 or Win 2012 (R2). If the SCOM DW could normalize this data I would only have to build one report for CPU or Processor performance, not 3.

23 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Use advanced features in SSRS reporting. Push all PGs to develop better reporting in their MPs. Move reporting to 21st century

Use advanced reporting capabilities in SSRS to generate rich graphical and meaningful reports

20 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Make reports in SCOM more appealing

Most of the times when you export the reports in SCOM to PDF it does not look great. I prefer the Veeam reports overt the SCOM reports since they look much better. Some improvements to make the reports better would be nice.

13 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • What's Being Monitored?

Provide an easy report or way for users to view the effective rules associated to an application and or server (i.e.: What's being monitored).

It's currently convoluted, somewhat cumbersome and only a SCOM admin can decipher the output.

11 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Please make custom reports easier for non-reporting services experts

I would like to write custom reports but I do not have the time to learn report services. Please make a user friendly way to write custom reports.

10 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Create a SCOM Report that Mimics the PAL Reports

The Performance Analysis of Logs (PAL) Tool is an awesome tool for documenting (benchmarking) or troubleshoot a system. There should be something similar in OpsMgr that we can use either as a report or a dashboard.

An ideal solution would be to import templates (like PAL does), so that OpsMgr can then apply it to a system for a period of time. The reports would then function in a similar fashion so that admins can address performance issues or provide benchmarks.

9 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Reporting

I sometimes have to setup multiple scheduled versions of the same report. It would be a huge timesaver if reports could be quickly copied and modified. Also the ability to be able to allow multiple users to administer a centralized report schedule.

8 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Easy way to report monitors/rules and override on a per server or group basis

We are constantly being asked for what is being monitored on our servers (s). This is not an easy question to ask. A report for a server/group showing all monitored/rules and overrides across all management packs would be extremely usefull

7 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Server name pops up when you hover over a line in a graph.

Currently when you hover over a line in a performance graph only the perfmon value and date pop up. The only way to determine what system that line applies to is the match colors.

This is makes it very difficult to determine the system when you have a large amount of systems and several colors with a similar shade....you wind up scrolling through the list of systems trying to match up the color.

It would be far simpler to just have the system name pop up when you hover your cursor over the line.

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Add a health trend dashboard, which can be scoped to objects or groups

Today, the Management Group Health Trend dashboard is really great to see the trend of alerts in the environment. However it would be useful to duplicate this dashboard but constrain it to just the members of a Distributed App or Group. I spent a lot of time today trying to fabricatre this, to no avail.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base