General Operations Manager Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with SCOM? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another SCOM customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building SCOM. We have already added some of the feedback we received through the TAP program and the recent SCOM survey.

This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to SCOM.
Be specific on your feedback. The more specific, the easier and quicker for us to review. Please be concise!!

If you have technical questions or need help with SCOM, please try visit our MSDN forums.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Azure SQL MP should support Azure AD Authentication

Azure SQL MP: Azure SQL should support Azure AD Authentication in addition to SQL standard logins. That would simplify the management of multiple Azure SQL servers a lot.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • Ability to duplicate a subscription

Today, there is no way to duplicate a subscription from within the SCOM console.

This is a pain, because the wizard for creating a subscription in SCOM is very, very verbose with numerous pages. So when I have to create multiple subscriptions which only differ from each other slightly, I want to smash my face into the nearest blunt object.

This would be one of those quick fix solutions which would reduce the pain involved in using SCOM.

9 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  General  ·  Admin →
      • Gateway Server Approval

Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.gatewayApprovalTool.exe crashes or stalls

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Admin →
        • Oracle

Please consider adding native SCOM monitoring for Oracle Databases like we currently have with the SQL Management Packs provided by Microsoft. Between Oracle Database and VMWare these are the two weakest areas for monitoring within SCOM. Yes, there are some very nice management packs that can integrate monitoring of these products but would like to have some basic monitoring without having to pay the high price that comes with these management packs.

4 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • SCOM High Availability - Independant Monitor of SCOM health

Occasionally SCOM will become disfunctional and stop monitoring or alerting. This may happen due to grooming not being performed or lack of database space for instance.
            Would be good to have SCOM like SQL or Exchange with replication and independant witness wirth automatic failover - not just concept of resource pools.
            Need something to ensure that the watcher is being watched.

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Microsoft.Windows.DHCPServer.2012.R2.ClusterServer.Discovery throws a “script failed to complete message”

This is due to the Powershell version required to check windows version in this MP. We know we can update the Powershell version but is not always possible in some customer scenario's.
              The discovery script should not run at all on a 2008 R2 server which by default has 2.0 installed. The MP now requires Powershell 3.0 or higher.
              The code in the mp should be changed to reflect this.

This problem still exists in the latest MP Version 6.0.7299.0

0 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • The ability to groom data based on server role or type or environment

It would be nice to have the ability to groom selective data from data warehouse based on the server role, environment, location etc. For example if/when I am monitoring all my environments (PROD, DEV, QA, TEST) in a single management group and I only want to keep data as following:
                PROD = 365 Days
                QA = 90 Days
                DEV = 30 Days
                Test = don’t save any test data in DW DB
                I don’t have the ability to purge data according to the scenario listed above and we end up with lots of useless data that’s just filling up our…

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Windows Certificate Monitoring in SCOM.

Hi Team,

I believe now a days its very common to use Certificates for secure communication including SCOM.

Its surprising we don't have any Mgmt Pack to monitor the same. However, we have third party mgmt. pack already but none is certified yet. I believe there should be certified Mgmt Pack.

Third Party:
                  http://www.systemcentercentral.com/pack-catalog/pki-certificate-verification-mp/

13 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Improve how the "Performance By System" report works with groups

The "Performance By System" Report under the Windows Server Operating System Reports folder doesn't work with groups unless the Windows Computer Objects are directly contained 1 layer deep in the selected group. If you try to use a group that contains another group which contains the Windows Server objects, the report is empty.

Note: "The Performance By Utilization" report works with a group that contains another group which contains the Windows Server objects.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Internal connectors should be sorted alphabetically

When forwarding an alert to a connector, the list is not sorted and so it's difficult to find the right connector, especially when you have 60+ like we do. Any UI element that has a list of options should always be sorted alphabetically.

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Monitoring of free space in AlwaysOn cluster does not work in SQL 2014

The scripts in SQL 2014 MP does not handle AlwaysOn correct. When evaluated if the database is a replica the property secondary_role_allow_connections is checked and if set to <= 1 the database is skipped. However, this is true even if the script is connected to the primary node which is accepting connections. This causes all free space monitoring for AlwaysOn databases that do not allow connections to secondary nodes to fail without any notice to the users, even when the script is connected to the primary node.

12 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • 6 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Add a "non-silverlight" web page that can be customized

a customizable web page where individuals can modify overrides for servers they are scoped for. Overriding rules/monitors is an administrative feature that requires administrator privileges to make changes.

I don't believe giving the keys to the kingdom should be required for users who want to change the threshold for CPU on their serverA or serverB. This puts the burden on the admin to have to make simple changes that should be self-service for application support technician.

When I say "customizable", I mean select a user role, the rules/monitors that can have overrides modified. This would eliminate the being tied to…

9 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • view to see servers in resource pool monitoring unix linux

Currently admins/users have to look at the Unix/Linux Computers view to see which Resource Pool is monitoring them, and then look at the Resource Pool view, and properties of the resource pool to see its members and the servers responsible for those unix computers.
                              It'd be great if there were a view that simply showed the management servers in the pool responsible for the unix/linux agent in ONE view. and not have to click in 3 different places to connect the dots.

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Move Scheduled Maintenance Mode to the Monitoring Pane

The Scheduled Maintenance Mode feature is only available to SCOM Administrators currently because it is added to the SCOM Administration Pane. What is needed is to have this available to the Service Desk (as stated by Vinayak) and Operators and Advanced Operators levels. Meaning it would have to be made available somehow in the Monitoring Pane in order to be used by a very large part of the maintenance mode setting target audience.
                                Of course the PowerShell cmdlets are the other way of getting to the Scheduled Maintenance mode entries and to adjust them, but this is basically for use…

35 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • The ability to commit configuration changes in bulk instead of 1 per 1

When you have to create overrides to workflows, it always freezes the console when applying overrides or changes to SCOM in general. The SCOM Console than says 'busy' and there is not much you can do.
                                  My idea would be that you can place certain overrides in a 'queue' and then apply them all at once.
                                  Think of a firewall config where you can make the changes first, and apply them later.
                                  This would allow us to make a lot more changes to SCOM without affecting the users of the SCOM console too much as you can apply many overrides…

2 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Enhance SNMP Trap monitors so applications that can send SNMP traps can send alerts to SCOM.

Allow configuration of SNMP Traps in SCOM without needing to be discovered. Most applications can send SNMP Trap messages anywhere to alert for problems and conditions. It would be helpful if you could do this with SCOM since SCOM is the natural nexus for all alerting, but not if applications can't send alerts to SCOM to pass on to the SCOM alerting infrastructure.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • A survey on usability of manual reset of monitors

In SCOM currently there are 3 options to reset monitors when the corresponding alerts are resolved. They are Event reset, timer reset and manual reset. The usual expectation is once the alert is resolved, the corresponding monitor that triggered the alert is moved back to healthy state. But this is not the case if the monitor has manual reset. The administrator has to go change the health state of the monitor manually else the monitor will remain in critical state and generate false alerts.
                                      We are trying to understand the usability of manual reset option. Your response to this survey…

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • ADFS - "MEX Endpoint Is Unreachable" Monitor update to support Secondary Servers

The monitor goes unhealthy on ADFS Secondary servers because the script is only designed to run on the Primary server. Either make the script support secondary servers or the monitor's Condition Detection module detect that it is running on a seconday server (as the information is gathered in the discovery phase). Personally, the script should be doing the checking everytime and not rely on the discovery as the information from the discovery could be outdated (haven't checked as yet how often the discovery for this info).

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Fix the rendering on more than one screen

On multiple screens in TP5 SCOM the buttons don't show up. Some creative Tab + Enter seems to work with the invisible buttons.
                                          ie
                                          1) Add computers/groups to OMS - no search button.
                                          2) Computer and device management discovery - greyed out search buttons.
                                          3) Computer and device management - Administrative account - missing text
                                          4) Repair agents - missing button.

Mark

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon